Monday 1 April 2013

How I Ended Up Working in Guernsey, Channel Islands



I have just received my Australian permanent resident visa and I was keen to find work in Australia. Finally the opportunity I’ve created has come to fruition.

I managed to contact a recruitment consultant. She was based in London but she told me that they have offices in Australia that could help me.

She called one time and asked if I would consider other locations. I thought that I could use some interview practice so I told her it was okay.

She set me an interview with a small firm in Guernsey, Channel Islands. This firm was potentially willing to take me in at my current position as Audit Manager. The interview went well and the next thing I knew I was being offered the job.

My Australian visa doesn’t expire in 5 years and Guernsey is in Europe! I thought to myself that a few years in Europe would be awesome before I get stuck Down Under, right?

So off I went.

Now be the best that you can be,

Xiela Marie Dacyon

9 comments:

  1. Hi Xiela

    I came accross your blog on google. I am also considering a possible opportunity in Guernsey. I would like to know how you enjoying it so far? What is life like on the islands? How is the audit environment compared to where you are from?

    Apologies for bombarding you with questions - I need to hear from someone living there, what it's like?

    Thank you,

    Verlene
    Being the best that I can be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Verlene,

    I love Guernsey! It's very laid back, charming and friendly. Not everyone I know appreciated the place at first, specially those who love to go out most nights as there are not much places to go really, but the island grows in you and mostly everyone I know who came to Guernsey wouldn't want to leave after having stayed there for a few years. People eventually learn how to keep themselves occupied with social gatherings, sports, hobbies, physical fitness activities, holidays or sometimes travel marathons etc. The people are friendlier as well than most places I've been.

    The audit working environment is more relaxed than in the Philippines although it may be challenging at the start when you're still learning all the accounting framework and regulatory requirements. I should mention though that the industry is mainly financial services.

    I would definitely recommend Guernsey to anyone. I'm currently in Australia but I'd be happy to be back in Guernsey anytime.

    You can get updates from this blog in Facebook. Just look for the page called Accounting Can Take You Places.

    Thank you for dropping by and feel free to ask if you have more questions.

    Be the best that you can be,
    Xiela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm Filipino working in Thailand as an English teacher for nearly 5 years. I would like to know how to get a job in this country. I am very interested to apply at any kind of job. I finished Bachelor of Education and Caregiver. I'm 31 years old ,single and in good health. Please email me at sugbongcogon@yahoo.com or call me at +66896108794. Hoping to hear from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much is the average salary there po?? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much is the average salary there po?? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ms. Xiela..

    I just want to know is there a limit in residing in Guernsey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - before it was 5 years but it has changed now and I'm not familiar with it.

      Delete
  7. Hi Xiela, it's my second time around on this article and it inspires me that there are opportunities for me out there. I'm planning to get into the Australian visa program simmilar to what you've described here. For future reference, can I get the name of the recruitment consultant you found?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Xiela,
    How about the construction and industry in Guernsay... Is it advisable for filipinos to work there?

    ReplyDelete